Thursday, July 31, 2008

Como se dice "band progress notes?"

Dearest Gorda,

In addition to having to hold try-outs for lead singer (though so far, there is only one interested party), we have a potential song-writer (and stage performer). A sample of lyrics will follow after a brief description of the song.

The first is a song about the long arduous path my insurance claim took to getting to the post office, and how it was eventually mailed in Oneonta, NY. Celia sang it and I transcribed it in Nick's Diner of the same town. I think a tape recorder/learning to write music would be useful in getting the melody down, though I have neither of those at the moment.

The second is a song about having Eggs Benedict for lunch.

*****

Trying to go to the post office

(Chorus)
Trying to go to the post office
but I haven't made it yet
Trying to go to the post office
to mail my insurance check

(bridge)
Gotta gotta gotta gotta gotta gotta gotta go
never never never never never gonna go

Trying to go to the post office
but I haven't made it yet

Started in the city but I couldn't get it done,
Didn't have a stamp and the money wouldn't run

*****

Benny Benny Benny

Benny, Benny, Benny

You might be a traitor but you taste so good
I wish I could find somewhere to eat you in my hood
Brunch, you're my favorite, you kick dinner's ass

...

*****

Follow up:
The claim was mailed, and the Eggs Benedict were delicious. What do you think of the lyrics?

My first taiko drum class is this Sunday.

Idea for the cover art for our demo: red-footed boobies in a circus: one with face paint (and perhaps a few getting out of a small car), a few on trapeze, one with a beard (can we include a side show in this circus?), and of course one on stilts. As no actual boobies should be harmed in the making of this band, we will need to find a graphic designer who understands the complexity of boobie circus.

*****

I miss you! Your depiction of phonetic dialect reminiscent of Tom Wolfe, and I recommend you follow the goings on of the playa privados a la I am Charlotte Simmons. I've made peace with alternate side parking by going to Sunac to get groceries on the day I move my car (once, now, and usually a trip over the weekend). I've been meaning to ask, have you seen the walls painted by Blu?

Your amiga,
Candy

No comments: